I just fell on this rather funny and surprising chart from “information is beautiful”. The image shows that most of the social networks are more feminine than masculine. This image was based on some figures Brian Solis, another Social Media Guru, posted on his blog.
But if you digg a bit deeper and check some more info available online, I think it’s not that surprising after all. I’ll tell you why:
Professor Mikolaj Jan Piskorski from the Harvard business school studied the subject for years and come up with the following “surprising” results:
- Online social networks are most useful when they address failures in the real world
- Pictures are the killer app of social networks
- Women and men use these sites differently.
- Businesses shouldn’t consider SNs as just another channel.
Let me go a bit deeper in each subject:
Online social networks are most useful when they address failures in the real world.
- People like to complain and find a place where they can do this freely … and this place is no longer called France apparently!
- Check the following site to find out what people are talking about on Twitter in your area.
Pictures are the killer app of social networks.
- There is a “voyeur” in every one of us
Women and men use these sites differently:
- Businessinsider says it correctly:
- Men looking at women they don’t know.
- Men looking at women they do know.
- Women looking at women they know.
- Check also the study from Ruder Finn about why people go online.
Businesses shouldn’t consider SNs as just another channel.
- Do they? Really? How old fashioned!