Here is an absolute striking image about the evolution of advertising / media between the 80’s and today. Needless to say that we’ve definitely moved into digital and that Social is taking a big part of the Digital cake (yes Social is part of Digital, see the earlier post).
In those 30 years, not only the landscape has changed, but there has been a substantial change in the management and organization of the marketing approach. The following graph shows the evolution in media convergence over the last century. You can clearly see an acceleration in the last 10 years:
The different challenges for companies in the last eras were:
Around 2000: how to deal with the new medium called « the INTERNET »
- Will the internet last?
- Will this new media replace any other media (e.g. paper, TV, …)?
=> Creation of online marketing and the department that goes with it
Around 2006: A new media landscape came up
- How to deal with the Connected Consumers that take control of the message?
- How to split my media budget to reach all Fragmented Target Groups
=> Evolution towards integrated 360° campaigns
Around 2008: Social media is everywhere
- Consumers interact actively with brands and vice versa
- Consumers don’t stop at the marketing department, they talk to and about the company as a whole
=> Breaking the sylos and create 360° companies
This last one is probably the hardest one as it doesn’t bring a change in a single department within a company, but it impacts far more than just the marketing department.